Thursday, October 8, 2015

Tacos: Recipes and Provocations - Book Review



I love tacos! I could eat them everyday for the rest of my life. They are easy to make. You just need tortillas and then you can just toss in whatever you have on hand. I make a variety at home using beef, chicken, turkey, venison, fish, or shrimp. When we smoke a turkey or brisket we love using leftovers for tacos.

So, I was excited when I saw this new cookbook called Tacos. I thought awesome! I can't wait to devour it and discover some new ideas. Well, I am a bit disappointed. It is way too fancy for me. There are lots of new ideas in it but nothing really that my family would enjoy.

I do have to say it does have a nice section on making tortillas and salsas. I had never heard of beet tortillas or even thought to make yuca tortillas. The main section of the book is all different sorts of tacos. Many of the ingredients I know I would have a hard time finding in my area or even know that I couldn't afford them. I mean Sea Urchin Guacamole Tacos and Lamb Tartare Tacos are a bit out of my league.

The photos in the book are beautiful. I did learn a bit reading through the book but don't really see myself making anything from it other than maybe experimenting a bit with my homemade tortillas. This book may be for you if you are really into a bit more of the sophisticated taco I think.

* I received this book from Blogging For Books for this review. Opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment