Friday, July 4, 2014

Treat Yourself- Book Review


I recently received a copy of Treat Yourself by Jennifer Steinhauer to review. If anyone knows me well, they know how much I love cookbooks. I read them like novels. I love a bit of adventure in the kitchen and my family is always good about trying new recipes. Well, sometimes my kids more than my husband. :o)

This book has 70 recipes of snack foods we all grew up with and some of us still eat today. Included are recipes for cookies, savory snacks, candy, and frozen treats. You can make your own Thin Mints, Nilla Wafers, Cheez-Its, Twix Bars, Bomb Pops, and more.

I love the way the author included a bit of history or a little tidbit of info before each recipe. It's funny how as I was going through the book and looking at different recipes I'd remember something I did or where we were when we would eat certain snacks. She mentions in the book about how it's the memories of what we were doing at the time and not necessarily that the snack we were eating was as good as we remember. Also being able to make these treats, you know what you are putting into them. Not all the chemical stuff they use so they can sit on the shelf for long periods of time. Still they are full of sugar and butter and other ingredients not so great for the waistline, so I can't imagine eating these treats all the time. For special occasions though, so many fun things to make in this book.

Most of the recipes contain ingredients that you probably have in the house or are easily found at the store. I had all the ingredients to make the Oatmeal Creme Pies so that was the first thing we made. They were super easy to make. My kids loved them. I actually liked the creme inside more than the actual cookie. I liked it so much I may find other things that need this creme just because it is so yummy.

Our Oatmeal Creme Pies

We will be testing out more recipes as time goes on. I can't wait to make the Candy Dots and Zebra Cakes. It will be fun too when we have family over. As I was looking through the book certain recipes made me think of different family members. It will be great to surprise them with one of their favorites. 

For more info about this book you can go here and if' you'd like a sneak peek at the book click here.

* I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow they look so good. I think I may have to buy the book and try some of them recipes out.

    ReplyDelete